Monday, November 13, 2023

Akuyaku no Oujo ni Tensei Shitakedo Chapter 13

 Day 13: Reunion



Before dawn, Lefebvre stealthily infiltrated the inner palace.


Following the roof, he entered the building through a magically shielded chimney, and after emerging from the fireplace, he strolled as if taking a leisurely walk.


If this were outside, he might even be humming a tune with his light footsteps.


Passing through the corridor, he reached his destination, the storage room.


Ensuring there were no signs of anyone around, he gently opened the door and swiftly entered.


Today, he chose to enter through the door rather than the ceiling, just for a change in mood.


Inside the dusty room, there was a lump of thick, worn-out blankets from which faint snores could be heard.


Approaching silently, he bent down and peered in.


"Hmm?"


However, he felt a sense of unease.


Staring at the sleeping Lucienne, he noticed that her breathing was a bit heavier than usual.


Trying to move her disheveled hair away to touch her forehead, he noticed a small wound and a bump.


"...Were you hit here? Normally, this wouldn't cause such a rise in temperature."


Placing his palm on her forehead as if to cover it, he realized she had a fever.


Merely hitting her in the head wouldn't have caused such a spike in temperature.


Carefully removing the blankets and taking off her dress, he discovered several new bruises on her petite body.


Especially on her left shoulder and both arms, the discoloration was noticeable. Additionally, there were bruises on both elbows, left side, both knees, and her left flank.


Gently touching the back of her head, he found a small scratch.


For a moment, a murderous intent leaked out.


Based on his past experiences, he could understand what happened to Lucienne from the extent of her injuries.


No new wounds on her back meant she hadn't been physically attacked. The concentration of bruises on her left shoulder and both arms indicated she was forced into a prolonged position on a hard surface with her weight on those areas.


The bruises on both elbows and knees suggested she was in a crawling position, probably on all fours.


And the scratches on her forehead and the bump at the back of her head indicated that she was either struck by something or had her head forcefully slammed against a surface.


If it were a hand-to-hand attack, her hair would have been grabbed, and in that case, such wounds would be difficult to sustain.


...Could she have been trampled?


The bruises on her arms suggest she was trying to shield her head.


Given Lucienne's small stature, if she were punched or hit, the injuries would likely concentrate on her upper back. However, considering the severity of the bruises on her arms and left shoulder, it seems she was kicked repeatedly. The bruise on her left flank is faint.


Her left shoulder is particularly bad, having turned a deep shade of purple. It must be quite painful for her to even move her arm.


After shifting the part of her undergarment that hangs over her shoulder, it reveals that the discoloration extends to the base of her arm, appearing somewhat yellowish.


Judging by the state of the bruises, this likely happened yesterday or the day before.


On Lucienne's fair, unblemished skin, the bluish-purple bruises are exceptionally prominent.


Carefully lifting Lucienne without waking her, Lefebvre sat on a piece of cloth and gently placed her on his knees.


Perhaps exhausted from the fever, there was no sign of her waking.


With the medicine Lefebvre currently has, there isn't enough to treat all the bruises covering her body.


For now, he needs to address the severely injured shoulder and, to avoid leaving scars, at least tend to the wound on her forehead.


First, he pushed aside her hair and examined the wound on her forehead. It wasn't very deep, and it seemed she had cleaned it herself as there was no dirt or grime. Taking out a bandage and medicine, he soaked the cloth in the medicine and gently applied it to her forehead.


Lucienne's brows furrowed slightly, perhaps feeling a tingling sensation. Her small hand moved restlessly toward her forehead, so he grabbed it to stop her, making sure she couldn't touch the treated area.


As soon as she settled back into rhythmic breathing, he returned his hand to its original position and started working on her shoulder.


Using a slightly larger piece of cloth soaked in a different medicine for bruises, he covered each bruised area one by one.


The small shoulder was quickly filled with bandages.


The touched shoulder was quite warm, and with such heat, it's no wonder her petite body couldn't handle it.


While he could tend to her arms with the remaining bandages, there wasn't enough medicine or cloth for both elbows and knees.


...He'll have to come back for it later.


Putting back her undergarment, he dressed her in her one-piece.


He took out painkillers and anti-inflammatory medication, but the intended recipient was deeply asleep.


Holding Lucienne with one arm, he used the other to pop a pill into his own mouth, along with some water.


Then, he gently opened Lucienne's mouth, lifted her chin a bit to make swallowing easier, and overlapped their lips.


Pouring water and medicine into her small mouth, with their lips pressed together, he inserted his tongue into her tiny mouth, guiding the water and medicine down her throat. The body he held stiffened slightly.


However, she obediently swallowed the water and medicine.


...Alright, this should ease the pain a bit.


As Lefebvre pulled away, some of the water Lucienne hadn't swallowed spilled from the corner of her small mouth, so he wiped it away with his finger.


...What a tiny mouth.


He lightly touched her dry lips, prompting her mouth to open. Apparently, her throat was dry.


Lefebvre put the mouthpiece of the water bottle to his lips, took a small amount into his mouth, and pressed his lips against Lucienne's.


"Mm, ah..."


He poured the water into her mouth, and she drank like a fledgling bird.


After repeating this several times, a sigh of relief seemed to escape from her small mouth.


...As long as she drinks this much, she should be fine.


As he put away the water bottle, Lucienne's mouth moved as if she was muttering something.


...Huh, was it not enough yet?


"...Lu...lu..."


Lefebvre's movements stopped abruptly.


He looked at Lucienne's face, thinking he might have accidentally woken her, but she continued to breathe peacefully.


...Oh, just sleep talking.


Lefebvre breathed a sigh of relief, realizing he had involuntarily held his breath.


"It's okay; I'm right here."


He rewrapped her in the blanket, pressing his lips to the part of Lucienne's forehead without a bump.


While she was asleep, he would go get the medicine.


He decided to stay by her side today.


...He also needs to find out who did this.


After placing the sleeping Lucienne back among the blankets, Lefebvre left the storage room to retrieve the medicine.


* * * * *


The next morning, I woke up to a bright room. Feeling unusually sleepy, I rubbed my eyes and sat up. To my surprise, the person I longed to see was right above me.


"Good morning!"


In response to his cheerful greeting, I couldn't contain my excitement and leaped into his arms.


"Lulu...!"


Even though I hugged him with enthusiasm, Lulu held me securely. Despite the pain in my left shoulder, I didn't mind at the moment. I was just thrilled to see Lulu after three days.


True to his word, he came to see me again. The mix of joy, nostalgia, and relief was beyond words.


"Lulu, did you take care of my wounds?"


He nodded, confirming my suspicion. So that explained why the pain wasn't as intense as yesterday.


"Thank you," I expressed my gratitude, hugging him even tighter.


As Lulu continued to stroke my head, it felt soothing. Without thinking, I rubbed my head against him, causing a brief pause before he resumed petting me.


"Oh, right, I haven't treated your elbows and knees yet. Is it okay if I do that now?"


"Yeah," I replied.


Effortlessly lifting me, Lulu placed me sideways on his crossed legs and began treating my knees.


After wiping away the dirt, Lulu soaked a cloth in medicine and gently applied it to my knees. Surprisingly, there was no pain, just a slight cool sensation.


"Oh, my knees have bruises too," I realized for the first time, thanks to Lulu's care. The slender knees of Lucienne had a faint bluish discoloration. Adhesive bandages were carefully applied to both knees. Perhaps due to the warmth from the bruises or the faintly cool sensation of the medicine, it felt surprisingly pleasant. The subtle herbal scent of the medicine added to the comforting experience.


Then, bandages were wrapped around the knees. The bandages looked brand new, as if they were just bought.


Next, my arm was taken, and a cloth was applied to the elbow. It was stuck on smoothly and without hesitation, demonstrating Lulu's gentle touch, avoiding contact with the wounds.


"Lulu, thank you," I expressed my gratitude.


Lulu squinted his eyes with a faint smile, responding, "You're welcome."


Bandages were carefully wrapped around the elbows.


Strangely, when Lulu provided first aid, the pain seemed to significantly ease. Even after the treatment was complete, I wasn't lowered from his lap. His fingers touched my face, slowly moving over my cheeks.


"Are you done with your work?" I asked.


"Yes, I'm done," Lulu replied, his fingers gently gliding over my cheek.


Despite the gloves, Lulu continued to check my cheek as if confirming its condition, occasionally lightly pressing it. Without any specific reason, I puffed up my cheeks, and Lulu silently laughed.


Being lifted up, our cheeks pressed against each other. Lulu's cheek was surprisingly smooth. As our cheeks touched, I instinctively leaned in, and our cheeks rubbed against each other.


I reached out and embraced Lulu's neck. A sigh of relief escaped me as I confirmed Lulu's presence, and his large hand gently touched my back.


"Hey, Lucienne, what happened to those bruises?" I felt a comforting rub on my back.


As he did that, my body naturally relaxed. 


"I got kicked," I replied.


"By who?" Lulu asked.


"...The noble ladies."


Lulu responded with his usual casual tone, saying, "I see," but for some reason, a shiver ran down my spine. He hugged me as I involuntarily trembled.


Perhaps because of his childlike warmth, I seemed to have a slightly higher body temperature than Lulu.


"You endured the pain so bravely," Lulu praised.


I looked up at his words. 


"Brave?"


"Yeah, Lucienne, you're working hard and being very brave. You're a good kid," he complimented.


A gentle kiss landed on my forehead, skillfully avoiding the bump and scars. Once again, he pulled me closer, saying, "Such a good kid."


Lulu's voice was incredibly soothing – deep, soft, bright, yet oddly devoid of excessive emotions. However, the touch of his hands and the gaze from those gray eyes were tender and made me feel like I could rely on him. It was as if he was saying, "It's okay to depend on me."


Being touched by him and meeting his gaze, I couldn't help but feel a sense of comfort. I wondered if it was because I liked Lulu.


"Hey Lulu, you know," I began.


Lulu responded with a casual "Hmm?"


"I like you. A lot. The most."


Lulu's gray eyes narrowed a bit.


"I think I probably like you too, Lucienne," he confessed.


My heart fluttered.


"Really?"


"Yeah, for real."


Lulu's face leaned down, and he gently brushed away my bangs with a soft, slightly dry touch.


After a few more times of placing his lips on my forehead and finally letting go, he chuckled.


"…Lulu…?"


When he pulled back, Lulu squinted his eyes.


"I mean, my intention was like, someday, I'd want to do this to the grown-up Lucienne, you know? It might mean 'liking' in that sense. But you're okay with that, right?"


Staring into his eyes, I shook my head.


…Not at all. In fact, I was really happy.


"No, not at all. I feel the same way," I replied.


"Feel the same way?"


"…It's my first time, so I don't really know."


Expressing feelings for someone was new to Lucienne, and these indescribable emotions couldn't be put into words easily.


But the kiss just now wasn't unpleasant at all. I was delighted that Lulu had given it to me.


…Kissing someone you like is this happy, comforting, and makes your heart warm.


"But you know, I really, really like Lulu," I continued.


Reaching out, I touched both of Lulu's cheeks and then stretched my neck to press my lips against his forehead.


When I pulled back, Lulu smiled beautifully.


"That's good then." 


Even if it might have been a clumsy expression of affection through a kiss, it seemed to convey my feelings, and seeing Lulu pleased made me happy too.


"Thank you for keeping your promise," I expressed my gratitude to Lulu.


Lulu tilted his head. "Promise? Did we make one?"


"You said you'd come again."


"Well, that wasn't exactly a promise, but if that's what Lucienne thinks, then I'm okay with it."


It might have been a casual remark for Lulu, but for me, those words were very precious.


Because of those words, I endured these three days without seeing him, and I could bear the pain.


If Lulu wasn't around, I probably would have cried this time, considering how painful the bruises on my shoulder were. There was a limit to how much I could endure.


"Don't worry, from now on, we'll be together forever."


Those were the words I wanted more than anything. With just that, I felt I could endure whatever challenges lay ahead.


As long as Lulu was there, I would strive forward. I would break free from this bad ending. I would resist the predetermined story as long as the person who needed me and said they loved me was by my side.


So please, Lulu, stay with me forever. In return, I'll give you everything.


And so, I spent the rest of the time on Lulu's lap.


From the small window high up, I noticed the evening sun casting an orange hue into the room.


Usually, Lulu would disappear once his business was done, but today, he stayed with me the whole time since I woke up.


It was a good atmosphere, but my stomach growled loudly, making me feel a bit embarrassed. Lulu silently chuckled and asked if there were any biscuits left. He gently placed me down on the blanket, went to fetch them from the desk, and returned, putting me back on his lap.


I found myself having a meal while Lulu watched. I couldn't speak while nibbling on the hard biscuits, but Lulu didn't seem to expect any conversation. A calm silence settled between us.


"By the way, when did you get that shoulder injury?" Lulu asked while I continued nibbling on my meal, holding up two fingers to indicate the timeframe.


Lulu touched the fingers. "Yesterday?"


I nodded as he touched the first finger.


He touched the second finger. "The day before yesterday?"


Again, I nodded.


Lulu briefly furrowed his brow in dissatisfaction but quickly lowered the corners of his eyes.


"You endured it for two days, Lucienne," he said while patting my back. "But that will end tomorrow."


"Tomorrow?"


"Yes, tomorrow."


... Tomorrow, a coup will happen?


Slightly surprised by the sooner-than-expected development, I felt more relieved. Finally, I could escape from this abusive life.


"Lucienne, even if it gets noisy outside tomorrow, you must not leave the room, okay? ... Hmm, that's right..."


Lulu looked around the storage room.


"Ah, I'll hide you in that big closet drawer, so can you stay there quietly until I come? I'll make sure to put you in there."


He pointed to the large closet in the storage room, neglected for a long time. Each drawer had considerable depth, width, and height, so if I lay on my back, I could hide easily.


"You'll go in there?"


"Yes, and you must stay quiet so those scary guys won't find you, okay?"


Are those scary guys the soldiers participating in the coup?


"Yeah, but I can't close the drawer by myself."


"I'll take care of that. When it gets dark, I'll put you in there, so you can sleep until I come."


I'm not thick-skinned enough to handle everything. ... I think. Probably.


But I felt relieved knowing that Lulu would come to get me. I didn't want to go with strangers or be carried by them; I preferred Lulu.


When I nodded, Lulu patted my head. Feeling reassured, maybe because of the injuries or fatigue, I dozed off while nibbling on the biscuits.


My head dropped, and I woke up abruptly, but the drowsiness quickly took over. Still, I managed to cling to the biscuits, but the large hand smoothly took them away.


Crack, snap, and crumble, a sound of something hard breaking.


"Lucienne, open your mouth."


I opened my mouth as instructed, and something dry was poured in.


... Oh, biscuits...?


The crushed bits entered my mouth, and my lips felt the touch of something hard. A small amount of moisture followed.


Chewing on the shattered biscuits in my mouth, I swallowed them with water, and the powder came in a few more times.


The last bit that came in was bitter.


It was bitter, with a green and harsh taste, slightly acrid and unpleasant.


"It's a painkiller and anti-inflammatory medicine."


Since water was forcefully poured, I swallowed that too.


Then something fell into my mouth.


"You did well in drinking it all."


It was sweet, fragrant, slightly bitter, and delicious.


It was the same chocolate I had received before.


The sweetness melting in my mouth, coupled with the bitterness of the medicine, loosened the tension in my body.


... I'm so... sleepy...


I couldn't resist the descending eyelids.


* * * * *


Lucienne had drifted off to sleep on my legs.


I supported her to prevent her from slumping, and as a matter of course, her small body snuggled closer.


... Oh, she's still in the middle of eating.


The chocolate I gave Lucienne hadn't completely melted in her slightly open mouth.


Touching her lips with my fingers, her mouth moved a bit, but before she could finish eating, the movement stopped again.


... What an odd sensation.


Without Lefebvre, Lucienne couldn't manage a decent meal, and if you looked away for a moment, she'd end up injured. She clung to Lefebvre like a newborn bird.


From Lefebvre's perspective, she was a needy child.


Yet, that was far from unwelcome.


On the contrary, Lefebvre found the 'needy' aspect quite endearing.


In these hands rested Lucienne's fate, and her reactions to my words and actions were so pure and understandable. But even so, she didn't seem to harbor excessive pessimism about her own circumstances.


When I opened her small lips, the chocolate was gone.


Inserting my finger into her open mouth without resistance, I peered inside to check.


... Hmm, it's still a bit irritated.


The tongue seemed to have improved significantly, but the inside of the cheeks remained raw.


One form of torture involves forcing a criminal to drink boiling water—literally scalding water. It involves forcibly prying open the mouth and pouring boiling water into it, causing damage inside the body such as the mouth and esophagus, resulting in considerable pain.


Lucienne went through something similar.


With such soft, thin, and delicate skin, she would have felt pain from the burns right from the first sip. Moreover, the strongly brewed black tea she was given wasn't an easy drink, yet Lucienne consumed it all.


In that respect, Lefebvre genuinely thought it was incredible.


If Lefebvre were given something like that, he'd kick the person who served it to him, along with the table.


...It smells sweet.


As an assassin, I've usually avoided things with a scent, but today feels like an exception.


After all, I'll just return to the client after this.


Lefebvre casually popped a single chocolate into his mouth, tilting his head.


... Sweet, but maybe even sweeter than usual?


Chocolate eaten on days without job requests was, in fact, Lefebvre's favorite.


Even when he had no appetite due to injuries, drank horribly bitter medicine, or got frustrated with work, chocolate alone would soothe Lefebvre.


That alone was irreplaceable.


Ah, I get it now.


I suddenly understood what had come to mind.


Small, brown, easily crushed or melted with heat, but when eaten, it's sweet with a bit of bitterness, a unique aroma, and strangely addictive.


... Lucienne is like chocolate.


Small, brown, much weaker than Lefebvre, but when approached, she's honest, cute, pitiable, and her amber eyes staring only at Lefebvre are like jewels, making him want to care for her.


Once you've tasted it, you can't forget it. Even if separated, he'd eventually want to taste it again. Being together makes his heart calm.


At the same time, as Lefebvre acknowledged this, he felt joy in making Lucienne, who resembled his favorite chocolate, his own. Maybe, if he added sugar, she would become even sweeter. She's already quite to his liking.


Even if she turned into a sweet and delicious chocolate, Lefebvre would treasure and savor it slowly.


"...I must make her mine and mine alone."


A single precious piece of chocolate. Lefebvre took one blanket from the pile and laid it on the desk to place Lucienne there for a moment. Then, he headed to the closet he had chosen earlier. He marked a fist-sized circular spot at the bottom, cut it out with a knife using wind magic, and the cut piece fell into the closet when pushed from inside.


Opening all the bottom drawers, he removed the cut pieces and dust, making it clean. When he pushed the drawer in, the wall and the drawer's hole connected, creating an air hole.


He cut the inner walls of the two drawers, making it one space, and then placed the blanket Lucienne had used inside the drawer.


Finally, I place a worn-out cushion and return to Lucienne, who is sleeping on the desk.


I wrap Lucienne in a blanket, placing a package containing Lefebvre's always-carried water bottle and biscuits at her chest.


With this, she won't get thirsty or hungry on the way.


I lay Lucienne on her back in the organized drawer.


It was good to have an unnecessarily large closet.


Thanks to that, there's room for Lucienne to lie down comfortably.


"Goodnight. ...I'll come to pick you up tomorrow, so be a good girl and wait, okay?"


I gently tuck her long hair inside, simultaneously grabbing the left and right drawers, slowly pushing her into the closet.


There's an air hole, and there's water and food. There's also a reasonable amount of space.


The painkiller I gave her might make her sleepy, so she might not wake up until the last minute tomorrow.


Lefebvre opens the storage room door and exits into the corridor.


Using wind magic, he lightly stirs up the dust in the storage room, concealing the traces of Lucienne's presence.


* * * * *


I'm having a dream.


It's odd to realize within the dream that it is indeed a dream.


I find myself positioned a bit above the air, and beneath me stretches out a vast garden adorned with various cute flowers.


In the heart of this garden, beneath a charming white lace-edged parasol, there are, indeed, two cute round tables and chairs.


On one of the tables, there are vibrant and delectable-looking sweets, accompanied by two neatly placed teacups.


Seated in the chairs are two figures.


One of them appears to be a girl.


I can only see her back, but she sports glossy dark brown hair and wears an adorable soft lemon-yellow dress.


In her hand, she holds a plate adorned with several brown cookies.


Seated across from her is a young man.


He reaches for the plate, grabs a cookie, and takes a crisp bite.


...Could it be Lulu?


With soft brown hair and narrow gray eyes squinting in delight, the face savoring the cookie is a familiar and beautiful one.


"...How is it? Delicious?" inquires the girl with a voice tinged with both anticipation and slight anxiety.


Lulu, having finished the cookie, nods.


"Yeah, it's delicious. Lucienne, you can cook, huh?"


"Not really. I made it because I was taught. But I'm happy you said it's delicious, Lulu."


"Did you make it for me?"


...Ah, am I the girl?


Lulu teases.


The girl, or me, nods sincerely, "Yes, I worked hard because I wanted you to eat it."


Upon hearing this, Lulu lowers the corner of his eyes and smiles.


"Good girl, good girl."


A gentle hand strokes my head.


I wish he'd stop treating me like a child, but I can't bring myself to say that I don't like it when Lulu pats my head. In the end, I happily accept it.


He seems to understand my feelings as if they were palpable.


"Is it okay if I eat all of this?"


Lulu releases his hand from my head and points to the plate I'm holding.


I nod in response.


"Of course, go ahead!"


"Thanks."


Lulu takes the plate from me and places it on the table. He then slowly savors each cookie, one by one.


I find joy in watching him and, while sipping tea, I continue to gaze at Lulu enjoying the cookies without getting bored.


Lulu presents the last piece to my lips.


"A reward for Lucienne."


I take a bite of the offered cookie.


The sound of a satisfying crunch fills the air.


The chocolate-mixed cookie emits a delightful fragrance of chocolate, sweetness, and the enticing aroma of baking.


As I enjoy the cookie from Lulu's hand, this time, he smiles, watching me.


There's no one else but Lulu and me.


In this tranquil, harmonious world, undisturbed and blissful, the scenery starts to blur, making me wish it would stay this way even though I know it's just a dream.


Previous Chapter    ToC    Next Chapter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Listen to My Lady’s Story Chapter 93

 The ex-butler is being desperately relied on "Now, let's see how much Crow knows about the history of this country." The cast...