Saturday, November 18, 2023

Reincarnated Elf Chapter 36

 Reincarnated Elf (107) - Firm Resolve



"Great job over the past year, Sir Reese. It looks like you've been really into magical research for the last six months."


It's the first night since Jin left on his journey. After a comforting dinner, Minoru came over as I sat on the porch.


"There were things I wanted to check while Jin was still around."


I couldn't spill all the details to Minoru yet, but in the last six months, I came up with Factor Absorption Drain, a magic that follows Skill Drain and Attribute Absorption Tribute Drain.


Luckily, having two people with "Factors" around and Vritra being unexpectedly cooperative made the completion pretty quick.


The hitch came afterward — with "Factor Bestowal." Putting new magic into people with different magic types seemed to be quite a load. Even if I could take out "Factors," it was clear I couldn't put them in.


The road ahead will be tough to reach my goals.


"You kept your promise with Lord Grillet, and you found the hero candidate successfully. You've done great. ...It's a bit sad that your time with those two has decreased, though."


Puffing up her cheeks, Minoru rested her head on my shoulder.


Indeed, for the past year, I'd been focused on Jin. To keep the promise with Grillet and ensure peace for the next 900 years, it was crucial to nurture Jin so that the hero's "Factor" could be in him at any time.


But with Jin now, there was enough magical capacity for the "Hero's" factor to reside. I was relieved.


"Minori, you've been doing great. Thanks."


After every showdown with Jin, it became a tradition to give Minori a pat on the head. Today, I decided to give her even more pats than usual.


"Hehe~" Minori, always trusting, showed an even happier expression than usual.


"Now, what should we do next?"


"...Haven't really thought about it."


"Well, until we decide, let's keep enjoying our time together, just the two of us."


"Yeah, sounds good."


"We'll adjust the food and training... and get your favorite nuts delivered. After that, well..."


"Minori."


"What's up, Sir Reese?"


I surprised Minori, who was earnestly thinking about the future, with a kiss.


Minori, eyes closed, was taken aback.


It had always been a concern.


As an elf with a long lifespan, Minori's life would be over in an instant compared to mine. It wasn't right for me to spend her precious time so casually.


But that was just running away.


In one year, Jin worked hard and gained impressive strength.


For the past six years since we reunited, Minori has consistently supported me with all her might.


I, on the other hand, haven't been living like them. I haven't changed a bit from the me who couldn't make it in my past life.


"Thanks as always. I love you, Minori."


If I've decided to live fully, then I'll do everything to make Minori happy. That's what happiness means to me now.


"Hehe, I'm happy."


On that day, we reached another turning point.


Minori accepted everything about me, who had always been a bit of a coward.


●●●


Minori is peacefully asleep, breathing softly. I gently brush aside her slightly tousled red hair, and she stirs playfully, snuggling closer. Her skin is still warm and has a soft, snow-white glow.


"...You'd like to be by my side forever, huh?"


I'll have lived for 900 years, but Minori has only a few decades left. The time of parting isn't too far.


Despite the thousands of years since the birth of magic, it still hasn't surpassed the concepts of 'time' and 'death.' The complex events aligning with the world's principles might be due to the inability of elves, a long-lived species, and humans, a short-lived species, to have children together.


Still, I want to be with Minori from now on.


Over the past year, I've found myself wishing for it so strongly.


If that's the case, I have to rely on a force beyond the world's principles—the 'Factor.'


The Demon King has been defeated once but periodically resurrects in this world. Perhaps the 'Factor' is involved in this phenomenon.


Jin possesses the ability of a 'Hero' specialized in defeating the Demon King and demons. Not a swordsman swinging a blade, not a mage skilled in magic, not a healing expert proficient in recovery arts—an ambiguous title, 'Hero.'


I, having come from a world called 'Japan' where machines, IT, and scientific technologies advanced, stumbled into a fantasy world with swords, magic, magical beasts, and demi-humans. A being outside the world's principles, known as 'Isekai Tensei' or 'Reincarnation into Another World.'


――In that case, the Demon King.


The Demon King, no matter how many times a hero defeats it, comes back to life every few centuries. And each time the Demon King revives, there's always someone with the 'Hero' factor in that era. It's like the world has some sort of self-cleansing mechanism.


The Demon King's revival is way beyond the rules of this world.


No matter how many times it dies, it keeps coming back. To put it simply, in my original world, we'd call these kinds of phenomena that go against the norms of this world...


――'Reincarnation.'


It's all just a theory. That's why, before Jin fully activates the 'Hero' factor and defeats the Demon King, I want to put an end to this. Even though 'Factor Bestowal' isn't complete yet, now that I have the method of 'Factor Absorption,' living a long and happy life with Minori seemed like the best option.


Before Minori is gone, I must explore the magic of 'Factor Bestowal' no matter what...


"Sir Reese, you seem lost in thought."


Suddenly, Minori, who just woke up, smiles. Her flushed cheeks had a rosy tint.


"I forgot to give you an answer earlier, so here it is."


"...Sure."


"Once I'm prepared, I'm planning to head to the demon territory. I can't explain the reasons just yet, but I want to take care of some business with the Demon King before Jin defeats him."


Minori briefly looked a bit sad. So, I continued to speak, trying to cover it up.


"It's going to be risky, and the journey will be long. But, Minori, I want you to come with me. I promise to protect you, no matter what."


Until now, I couldn't openly ask Minori to come along. My life involved dedicating years to a single event, and I couldn't impose that on someone else.


But things are different now.


In the long life of an elf, a mere second.


Even so, I've strongly started to desire to spend every second, no matter how short, with Minori.


Minori smiled again.


"This is the first time Sir Reese has asked for something like this. ...My answer hasn't changed since long ago. Minori will follow Sir Reese anywhere. I will protect you too, Sir Reese."


To maintain my peace for the next 900 years and to keep Minori by my side. With renewed determination, Minori and I would embark on a journey into the demon-infested territory after another six months of intensive training.


Previous Chapter    ToC    Next Chapter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Listen to My Lady’s Story Chapter 93

 The ex-butler is being desperately relied on "Now, let's see how much Crow knows about the history of this country." The cast...