Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Akuyaku no Oujo ni Tensei Shitakedo Chapter 5

 Day Five: Lulu



As I woke up, the sun had already climbed high in the sky. The previous day, I had burned the inside of my mouth, so I ended up staying in my room, sleeping all day.


Thanks to the ice and honey he had given me, my mouth was still sore, but at least there were no blisters.


I took a glance at my hands and feet.


...I'm so dirty.


I suddenly remembered that it had been nearly five days since I last cleaned myself. 


Getting up, I grabbed a piece of old cloth. With it in hand, I gently opened the door.


Once I ensured no one was around in the corridor, I decided to head for the well.


The weather was pleasant today, with no wind, warm sunshine, and a comfortable temperature.


...Under these conditions, I could take a bath without any issues.


For a moment, I hesitated about undressing outside. But then I reminded myself that this harem was exclusively for women, and my current body was that of a five-year-old. There was really nothing to be embarrassed about. Besides, I was wearing undergarments beneath my dress.


I had pumpkin-like shorts and a tank top-like garment, so I wasn't completely nude.


First, I filled a bucket with water.


Then, I gently scrubbed my tattered dress in the bucket, being cautious not to cause further damage.


We didn't have soap, but my dress was quite dirty, so the water quickly turned black.


I took out the dress and gently wrung it before hanging it on the edge of the well to let it dry. After that, I fetched more water and repeated the washing process two more times.


Although I felt tired, my dress looked cleaner than when I started. I hung it up on a nearby branch of a sunlit shrub to let it dry. Then, I scooped some water with my hands and began washing my body.


I scooped up some water and gently scrubbed myself with the cloth, and as I scrubbed, dirt came off in bits.


I wiped my arms and legs, and used the wet cloth to clean inside my undergarments.


After fetching more water, I poured it over my head. Despite the water being quite cold, I poured it over myself and rubbed with the cloth, gradually washing away the dirt.


My hair, however, was a different story. I poured water over my head in portions, trying to run my fingers through it, but it was hopeless. My unkempt hair had become a tangled mess.


Realizing that combing it was futile, I squeezed out the water and used the damp cloth to dry my body and hair.


Afterward, I stood by the shrub where I had hung my clothes, basking in the sunshine. This way, I hoped my body would eventually dry off.


Perhaps due to sunbathing or the fatigue from fetching water repeatedly, I felt a bit drowsy.


I started dozing off while standing there.


Suddenly, I felt a gaze on me and opened my eyes.


At some point, he had joined me.


Just as I was about to say something, a voice interjected.


"Look, the dog is standing naked over there."


When I turned toward the voice, I saw the first prince. He had a lady-in-waiting who often accompanied the queen by his side. The lady-in-waiting seemed to be speaking to him and pointed in my direction while laughing.


The lady-in-waiting gave me a disapproving look and said, "It might be better for you not to look at something like that. It would be quite unseemly for you."


He, who was standing next to me, began to walk.


"Seems like she needs a bit of discipline," remarked the first prince.


He started walking in my direction. Right near the well, just before he was about to reach me, he subtly changed his course and extended his toes forward. As the first prince walked towards 'him', he stumbled and fell at the edge of the well.


The lady-in-waiting gasped, exclaiming, "Oh!"


The first prince appeared surprised, falling to his knees with his hands on the ground.


I had just finished washing myself, so the ground was muddy and made squelching sounds beneath him.


A wet, squishy sound echoed as his hands touched the damp ground.


"Your Highness!"


The lady-in-waiting rushed to assist the first prince.


'He' moved away from the fallen first prince, laughing silently but oddly.


The lady-in-waiting helped the first prince stand up and let out a scream when she saw the mud on his knees and hands. She hurried to fetch water from the well and used it to clean his hands. She attempted to wipe the mud off with a handkerchief, but it seemed the mud had soaked into his clothes.


The first prince's face was bright red, and he was biting his lip.


The lady-in-waiting checked him for injuries, and once she was relieved that he was unharmed, she encouraged him to head inside.


"Let's change quickly."


With a red face and an evident sense of frustration, the first prince walked away, his steps producing squelching sounds. As he reached the dry ground, he didn't look back and entered the building.


Then 'he' returned to my side.


"Heh, that was fun," he said, sounding excited like a child who just succeeded in a prank, even though he had made the royal family all muddy.


I nodded in agreement because it was quite satisfying.


He picked up my clothes and chanted a magical spell. A gentle wind swirled around, and miraculously, my worn-out, thick dress dried instantly.


Then, he chanted another spell. This time, a warm breeze surrounded me, making my long hair flutter.


"Now your hair is dry too, see..."


With the dry dress in one hand, he looked down at me, and his expression suddenly froze.


Huh? Why does he look so surprised? I couldn't help but return his puzzled gaze.


* * * * *


Lefebvre focused on the child's face as she looked up at him. A gust of wind had lifted her long bangs, revealing a partially hidden face.


The child allowed him to lift her bangs and reveal her face. She appeared slender with slightly sunken cheeks, but beneath the disheveled bangs, a symmetrical face emerged. Her large, expressive amber eyes and untreated, pale skin, although slightly rough, bore no blemishes or acne. A small, straight nose and delicate lips completed her charming facial features.


Having grown up in a brothel and witnessed the beauty of many women due to his circumstances, Lefebvre could recognize true beauty when he saw it.


It was evident that Lucienne was destined to become an exceptionally beautiful woman.


Indeed, considering this child, one could only imagine how stunning the woman the king had taken must have been. This is why the queens resented her so much.


While the royal family possessed their own remarkable beauty, it was undeniable that this child would stand out even among them.


"Big brother...?" The child, perhaps growing impatient, looked up at him with uncertainty.


"Oh, I'm sorry," Lefebvre said, offering a gentle smile as he released the child's bangs.


With his hand gone, the bangs fell back over her face. The child used her hand to tuck her bangs behind her ear, allowing her face to be partially visible.


...He wondered what this child would look like when she grew up.


If only she could retain her current personality and demeanor as she grew older.


If this cute child were to become a lovely woman, and Lefebvre pampered her with all his might, how would she react?


Would she fall deeply in love with him, or would she seek affection from others?


Ah, just the thought of that irked him.


He wished to pamper her so much that she would be entirely devoted to him, leaving no room for others, and her sweet smiles would be directed solely at him.


What was the term for such feelings?


...Yes, it's possessiveness.


He wants to make her exclusively his.


...Is that alright?


After all, this child has placed her life in Lefebvre's hands.


In a way, this child belongs to Lefebvre now.


She willingly chose to be with him.


...But it's not enough like this.


He must pamper this child even more.


Make her trust him more, depend on him even more.


Yes, create a deep dependence. Make her cling to him, trust no one else.


So uninterested in anyone but him, so unnoticed by anyone but him, that his presence is ingrained in her.


That way, she'll probably become even more adorable.


A subtle, dark emotion gently spread through Lefebvre's chest, and he grinned.


However, due to the cloth covering the lower half of his face, Lucienne couldn't see his expression.


* * * * *


"Hey, Lucienne."


I was startled as I looked up; I had never been called by anyone except the queen.


He was smiling at me.


"Can you lend me your ear?"


He gestured for me to come closer.


As I approached, he placed a hand near his mouth.


He leaned his ear closer to that hand.


"You can call me 'Lulu' from now on," he said with a voice full of amusement. "It's special."


I couldn't help but call him by that name.


"...Lulu?"


"That's right."


He squinted his eyes and smiled.


"Lulu."


In response to my call, he said, "Yes."


My heart raced with excitement.


He, Lefebvre, would now be called Lulu? It's like a nickname?


He allowed me to use a nickname?


...I felt happy.


"I'm so happy I can call you by name. Thank you, Lulu," I expressed with a likely beaming smile.


His hand extended, caressing my cheek. Despite half of his face being concealed, the subtle downturn of the corners of his visible gray eyes indicated his happiness.


Both Lulu and I appeared delighted to hear me call him by name.


* * * * *


After leaving the inner palace, Lefebvre headed straight to the Fayette family's mansion. At this time, the client should be in their private quarters, and as he stealthily made his way there, sure enough, the client appeared to be busy, going through documents and signing papers.


When Lefebvre dropped down from the ceiling, the client raised their head.


"It's unusual for you to come during the daytime," the client remarked, eyes widening.


It's not that the client had never noticed; in fact, Lefebvre had been visiting the Fayette mansion quite frequently. While under employment, he was monitoring the client's actions, as it could be a way to leverage the client or hold them accountable if he ever violated the contract or attempted to force him into something. Well, Lefebvre had known the current head of the Fayette family for several years, so he had a good understanding of his character.


Landing in front of the client's desk, Lefebvre said, "I need Lucienne."


"Huh?" The client blinked in response to Lefebvre's words.


"Lucienne, you mean Lucienne La Vérie from the inner palace?" the client asked.


"That's right, it's the same Lucienne," Lefebvre confirmed.


"Wait... Wait a moment," the client responded as if he had a headache, pressing his temple and furrowing his brows. Having learned about the hidden princess, Bernard Fayette, the client, had immediately instructed Lefebvre and his subordinates to investigate the child.


In light of this, the child's name was revealed to be Lucienne La Vérie. Her mother, a daughter of a count, worked as a maid in the castle. She was coerced into becoming the king's companion for one night, and when her pregnancy was discovered, she was secretly taken to the inner palace, where she gave birth but did not survive. Lucienne, born with unique amber eyes, had been spared due to her distinct appearance. Nevertheless, lacking magical abilities, she endured abuse from the queen and the queen's children, who were also the king's offspring. None of the maids or servants in the inner palace made any effort to help her.


Lucienne's mother's noble family, the count's family, had drawn the queen's wrath, which led to their social downfall and ultimate extinction, becoming a part of history.


In every aspect, she was a pitiable child.


...Did he want that child?


"She is a princess. Given her upbringing, I intend to keep her alive. However, to prevent her blood from being exploited, we must adopt her into our family."


It would be easy to execute the young princess who had suffered abuse, citing her royal blood as the reason. But that child had committed no crimes. In fact, both the child and her deceased mother were victims of the royal family.


Furthermore, if they were to completely eradicate the royal bloodline, it would mean the death of the majority of the country's high-ranking nobility, which was a practical impossibility.


Nonetheless, they couldn't let the royal bloodline go unmonitored.


Balancing protection and oversight, they decided to adopt her.


They had already secured agreement from other nobles.


"I know that. So, about what happens afterward..."


The voice that seemed to linger returned.


"Afterward?"


"When she grows up, can you give me Lucienne? Don't worry, I won't allow her to go outside or have children."


"Are you planning to marry her?"


Gray eyes narrowed as a sly smile appeared on Lefebvre's face.


"Oh, that might be a good idea. Yes, I'll marry Lucienne."


By the time Bernard thought it strange and closed his mouth, it was already too late.


This assassin didn't change his mind once he had made a decision.


In his professional work, Bernard would make some concessions, but those were strictly business-related.


He had no way to refuse Lefebvre's offer on this personal matter.


Lefebvre, born and raised in a brothel, had a surprisingly noble lineage. His father came from another ducal house, and his mother was the daughter of a fallen baron. This meant he had noble blood despite lacking a formal title. Although he did not hold a title, if he ever sought one, he could expect a suitable one, thanks to his remarkable work as an assassin. The assassin's trade appeared to be quite lucrative.


While his clothing always looked the same, closer inspection would reveal the use of high-quality fabric. His weapons were always of the finest quality. Through the dark guild, he paid significant sums. Even after intermediaries took their share, he should be earning a substantial amount.


The idea of keeping the princess secluded, childless, or even put to death was something that had likely crossed the minds of many nobles planning to participate in the coup. The princess or her child might become a symbol of the royalists' cause.


If possible, they didn't want the hidden princess to have children. If she were to have children, they would need to be from a trusted lineage among the nobles involved in the coup. In this regard, the option of accepting her as an adoptive child, removing her from the registry when she reached adulthood, and outwardly giving her the status of a son's concubine to prevent her from having children had actually been considered.


"But, will she agree to that?"


However, that choice was now off the table. If they attempted to ignore Lefebvre and marry the princess to their son, this assassin would likely kill their son without hesitation. Anyone nominated as a potential partner for the princess would meet the same fate, regardless of their identity. He was introduced in the dark guild as an assassin for whom "no one could defeat him." He excelled in killing.


Lefebvre tilted his head back.


"There's no choice but to accept because I'll pamper her to the point of complete dependence on me."


He laughed, sending a chill down his spine.


He had initially sensed that Lefebvre was unusual, but it seemed that this assassin, as Bernard expected, did not possess normal reasoning.


"That's why, be cooperative, alright?"


He nodded back at the assassin, who casually turned his menacing aura towards him. He wanted to change the situation, but it was likely impossible. Apparently satisfied with having said what he wanted, Lefebvre, with no further greetings, disappeared just as he had arrived.


With the disappearance of the killing intent, Bernard felt his shoulders relax. He couldn't help but feel sorry for the young princess who had inadvertently earned the favor of Lefebvre.


Previous Chapter    ToC    Next Chapter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Listen to My Lady’s Story Chapter 93

 The ex-butler is being desperately relied on "Now, let's see how much Crow knows about the history of this country." The cast...