Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Reincarnated Elf Epilogue 3

 Epilogue 3: 52 Years After Defeating the Demon King



The world entered an era of unprecedented peace. The annual decline in magical beasts and increasing cross-border movement of people between nations were signs of this newfound tranquility.


The Hero Party, the Hopeful Travelers Lagridge, accomplished their mission and disbanded 25 years after the Demon King's defeat. Just before their separation, party members, excluding Lahab, made a special visit to our residence.


During this period, Jin introduced us to a son born to one of the party members. They likely lead a serene life in some quiet village.


38 years post the Demon King's defeat, Galius, the current lord of Kukre Fortress, passed away. Honored for his role in defending the nation alongside his father, Grillet Garlanda, a grand funeral was held.


Upon receiving an invitation from Weiss, Galius's successor, I descended to the fortress. The overwhelming number of attendees surprised me. Eventually, I found solace in having a drink with Weiss, listening to his stories in front of the combined graves of Grillet, Silfa, and Galius, rather than amid the bustling crowd.


Weiss continued to understand and support us, ensuring our lives remained peaceful, with Minori's swordsmanship dojo and the Yggdrasil branch hut.


Over 30 years, Minori, as the head instructor, produced numerous skilled magic swordsmen. Dedicated to a lifelong commitment, she frequented the dojo regardless of the weather.


I promptly healed any minor injuries or illnesses Minori faced. Thanks to my supreme healing magic, she never endured suffering for more than ten minutes.


However, 52 years after defeating the Demon King...


At last, that day was on the verge of arriving.


●●●


One day, Minori's resistance to recovery magic began to weaken. Her body showed no signs of illness. For nearly 50 years, Minori, who used to rise at 5 a.m. daily for sword practice, started remaining in bed past 9 a.m. Although attempts were made to cast recovery magic while she slept, nothing dramatically changed.


Without explicitly mentioning it, both Minori and I began to realize that the inevitable time had arrived.



On a particular night...


"Sir Reese, could you sleep beside me tonight?"


Minori tugged at my wrinkled clothes. Lately, we had been sleeping separately more often.


Perhaps it was due to my increasing obsession with unattainable goals, such as finding a way to rejuvenate Minori or manipulating the reincarnation timing of "Wheel of reincarnation." Anticipating my anxiety, Minori made the request in front of my workspace.


"...Sure."


Minori smiled wryly and took my hand.


Two leaves gently fell from the branches of Yggdrasil.


●●●


Under the cozy warmth of the blankets, Minori softly spoke.


"Sir Reese, do you recall the first time we met?"


The memory was etched vividly, as if it happened just yesterday.


"It was when I first experimented with teleportation magic. I thought about surprising my parents by appearing where they were, but never anticipated landing in a place with humans."


"It truly was a coincidence," Minori reflected, her eyes showing a hint of emotion.


"Originally, my life was destined to end at the age of 10. The unbreakable slave crest and the perpetual darkness where I lived. You, Sir Reese, saved me."


It felt somewhat eerie. The everyday routine that had become second nature was now on the brink of fading away.


"64 years have passed since then. Thanks to Sir Reese, Minori has experienced incredibly joyous times. Thank you for loving this wrinkled old woman until the very end."


"Until the end...," I started to say, turning to look at her. I saw myself reflected in Minori's eyes, closer than we had been in a long time. Admittedly, she lacked the vitality of her past appearance.


"Minori, I'd like you to reconsider something. Are you not interested in 'reincarnation'?"


"...Is this about what you've mentioned before, the idea of coming back to life if given the chance?"


"That's right. It's the factor I extracted from the Demon Lord. With it, you can be reincarnated in the future. It may take a few hundred years, but we can meet again."


Despite my anxious inquiry, Minori remained calm throughout.


"If Minori desires it, it can be done... at any time. The factor can be applied again. Someday, in a future that stretches into eternity, we can spend time together again."


After a brief silence, Minori spoke slowly.


"I waited for seven years until I met Sir Reese. It was quite challenging to wait for Sir Reese, not knowing when you would come."


On the bed, Minori chuckled softly, portraying a gentle and ladylike smile.


"For me, those seven years felt like an eternity. Wondering, 'Will today be the day? Or perhaps tomorrow?' It was a period where I continued to swing my sword with the constant thought of when I would meet you again."


"Elves are skilled at waiting."


"Waiting hundreds of years, delaying the one you love. If such a thing were to happen, I don't think I could forgive myself."


"Is that so?"


Minori continued, her expression full of joy.


"Thanks to Sir Reese, I was able to accomplish everything I wanted in this life. Now, I'm looking forward to spending time with Lord Grielette, Madam Silfa, Lord Galius, and soon, Jin, who will come later in the other world."


Minori happily listed the people she had been involved with.


"I want to wait for Sir Reese along with everyone, have many conversations, and hear about Sir Reese's journey when you finally come. That's what I wish for."


In my first life, I couldn't find satisfaction in anything, and that's why the path of a new reincarnation was opened for me. However, Minori lived her first life without regrets, which is truly wonderful and something to be proud of. Minori's way of living is what I originally wanted in my first life.


... If I'm told something like that, there's really nothing more I can say.


"Is there anything more I can do, anything left for me...?"


Minori took her time, slowly contemplating.


"Well, then, may I make just one request?"


Minori placed her weak hand on my waist.


"Please stay by my side today. Until I can fall asleep."


I nodded as I lowered my head.


"Of course. I'll be here with you."


As I whispered in her ear and our bodies drew closer, Minori responded with a gentle, powerless smile.


●●●


In the deep hours of the night, Minori peacefully breathed her last in my arms.


At the age of 74.


Considering the average lifespan of the human race is around 60 years, hers was an exceptionally long life. Her once vibrant red hair, now adorned with streaks of white, the gentle lines on her face, and her slender yet well-toned arms—all retained their beauty until the very end.


"His hands haven't changed at all since that time. They're still so white, beautiful, and forever youthful."


As I tightly grasped her now cold hand, memories flooded back.


It was a familiar scene during Grilette's passing.


Everyone's hands, growing wrinkled and cold, changed much sooner than mine.


"...So white."


In contrast, my hands remained unchanged.


No new wrinkles appeared. The color stayed pure white.


Turning my attention back to Minori, I gently brushed her now cold cheek.


"Goodnight, Minori. Thank you for everything."


However, no matter how many times I went through such experiences, it still felt lonely.


Pride, nostalgia, frustration, and loneliness—all intertwined, overwhelming me.


159 years since Minoru became an elf.


It wasn't until some time later that I realized it had only been 100 years since I became an elf and entered the human world.


Previous Chapter    ToC    Next Chapter

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for translating this and all of earlier chapters. I just binged all of this over the past week, and while I knew this was coming, it still hits hard. I hope that they can reunite in the afterlife.

    ReplyDelete

Listen to My Lady’s Story Chapter 93

 The ex-butler is being desperately relied on "Now, let's see how much Crow knows about the history of this country." The cast...